martedì 4 ottobre 2011

A Poem

Meditation

The streets boil with blood, and in a mere moment
of meditation I notice the walls
fading into themselves like stale reflections
of the sun. The soldiers march on      fighting
shadows in the shade, depressions in the dirt,
and thoughts of milky yellow pain. I call
it color: love like a river flowing out doors
and into hallways. I call it moments
at my desk with a dark pen and no mind
trying to cut my way through a prickly line.

I call it the anti love poem     filled with roses
calling for a breath of fresh air. I notice
the world as it falls     America turning pale
in its cowardice , moral in its religion,
and left starving in the street by its father;
slowly picking leaves from its nose and falling
asleep with tequila and its hands stuck in its pants.

The lakes spread across the map, splitting towns
and streets in two     pushing families out
into boats     sails crossing the morning sky
and pushing all feeling away. I swim
through consciousness watching the green water
run over tanks and children, their shirts floating
around me like dirty rags. I call it
a flower     rising in the moonlight with no god
and nowhere to go. I call it nights walking
women home in the dark waiting for a moment.
I call it getting high with Joni Mitchell
on and feeling blue, turning the record over
and over until all that’s left is darkness.

I call it the anti war poem     dying alone
in the muddy ditch with only your rifle to hold
and to touch and to make love to in these moments
shattered by rain. I notice hipsters slinging
Jack Kerouac over their shoulders and snow
through their brains holding only moments of light
and leaving traces for doctors to test and to snort.
I see them crawl across the floor in groups
so large they can only be stomped by the dozen.

I call it connection between three fingers;
arpeggios rolling off cliffs and through valleys
until they settle in a cloud of dust – gently
pushing a baby in front of them     looking
for a soft place to lie down for the night.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento